WHITEWASH, LIME WAX, PAINT?

Furniture Makeover
Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

I’ve been hoarding this beautiful oak buffet for a while now.  I had shared it on Facebook a little while back. I think it is one of the oldest pieces I have ever purchased and really a true antique.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

Beautiful carvings and made of solid oak.  So you can see my hesitation to paint over it.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

But for all of its beauty, it has some flaws.

No. 1.  There is no top.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

Right now I’m just temporarily using some stained wood planks which I had on hand for an upcoming dining table transformation.  It originally had a marble top.  I’m debating about purchasing a new marble top or building a permanent top with the same type of oak wood.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

No. 2.  It has a big drip mark along the left side.  Looks like someone had dropped some kind of stripping solvent.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

When I first purchased it, I was hoping to cover up the drip marks by applying some stain over the drips and then just rehydrate the whole piece by applying hemp oil.

Well here is my attempt to cover up the drips with stain.  It helped a bit, but not enough so I will have to cover it up some other way.

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

The easiest thing would be to paint over it but I really want to see some of the grain, more of a natural weathered wood look, which can be achieved by either applying a whitewash with paint or applying a liming wax.  I love this type of look.  It pairs so well with many different decor styles and will bring this piece up to date a bit.

Below are some beautiful examples of whitewashed furniture I found on Pinterest.

From Perfectly Imperfect

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

From The Painted Drawer

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

From Tidbits & Twine

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

You can also achieve a similar effect by applying a liming wax.  I love how this salvaged cabinet door turned out.

From Old Things New

Whitewash, Lime Wax, Paint?

Have you ever tried liming wax?  If so, let me know in the “Comments” what products you used.  Any other ideas you want to share with me, would love to hear and come back soon to see the reveal!

Have a great day.

– Mary –

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

Kathy
    October 25, 2016 at 7:42 am

That’s a beautiful piece. If it were mine, I would get a piece of marble for the top and not paint it. Good luck with what ever you decide!

October 25, 2016 at 10:08 am

Hi Kathy – Am really torn with this decision. I will probably be selling this piece and I think with the drip on the side it won’t sell in its original condition.

DiB
    October 25, 2016 at 8:32 am

Mary, the chest is very pretty. I really like the lime wax technique that you used.
    I do have a question: I am not that familiar with lime was and its use nor where to purchase it.
    I do have ASCP white wax. Do you think if using the white wax the results would be similar?

October 25, 2016 at 10:15 am

I’ve never attempted the lime wax yet. The last image in the post was done by Old Things New. You can click on her link and read her post. The white waxes I have tried so far seem to take forever to dry (like almost 6 weeks). However, I have not yet tried the new Annie Sloan wax, but I think you can get similar results. Certain types of wood like oak and old pine and pieces with carved details seem to work better for this look. I would experiment first with the Annie Sloan White wax before diving into a piece of furniture. Good luck.

karen
    October 25, 2016 at 8:34 am

I don’t believe I have ever made a comment. I say….don’t paint or lime this beauty. I never say that because I love paint.This piece is just too charming to bother. I would hold out for a marble top whenever you find one. I think if you restain and give that beautiful oak another drink of nourishment you will love it .

October 25, 2016 at 10:18 am

Hi Karen – Thanks for taking the time to comment. If it were not for that drip on the side, I would definitely just nourish it. I will be putting this piece up for sale and from experience, it would not sell as is.

Jill
    October 25, 2016 at 10:53 am

I agree with the sentiments of no laying and getting a new marble top. Some old pieces just need to be admired as they are. Could maybe try to blend in the streak with one of those colored stain repair pencils.

October 26, 2016 at 7:10 am

Hi Jill – I’ve attempted to fix the drip but it is still too apparent.

Quandie
    October 25, 2016 at 11:01 am

Such a tough call Mary! Let’s face it, this piece would be stunning painted. And painting it would solve your drip problem, and your non-matching top problem. But I can totally understand your hesitation. Since you’ll probably be selling it, I would approach it from that angle. What final look will sell best for you. For me it would be painted. No matter how lovely they are, I still find that wood pieces still don’t sell as well for me as painted ones. I’m sure that whatever you do will be gorgeous! I’m looking forward to seeing the final result.

October 26, 2016 at 7:09 am

Thanks Linda. I experience the same thing here. Original finishes don’t sell compared to painted ones.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode
    October 25, 2016 at 11:09 am

It’s stunning! And I agree with Kathy and Karen. I usually believe any piece of furniture is a prime candidate for paint. But this one just tugs at my heart. To me, the beautiful detail and warmth of the oak would be lost by applying a painting technique. A marble top would look amazing, although the plank top looks great too. Cant wait to see what you decide. 🙂

October 26, 2016 at 7:08 am

Thanks Carolyn, I am leaning towards a marble top too.

Carole
    October 25, 2016 at 12:40 pm

yes, I am with all of the above…..do not paint and purchase a lovely marble top…it is just tooo stunning
    to cover with any kind of paint, etc.

October 26, 2016 at 7:05 am

Thanks Carole. I appreciate your input.

Mary S
    October 25, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Agree… it’s too beautiful to paint. How about some oil and let it be just as it is. Maybe down the road you’ll hve a better feel how to proceed.

October 26, 2016 at 7:05 am

Hi Mary. It’s actually been in my workshop over a year.

melinda pilkinton
    October 25, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I agree with Karen above, although it would be stunning with liming wax. But it’s a beautiful piece – would try a little more TLC and save up for the marble top to restore her to beauty!

October 26, 2016 at 7:04 am

Thanks for commenting and have a great day, Melinda.

Rebecca M
    October 25, 2016 at 3:40 pm

You should be able to fix that drip just by layering a stain over it. Maybe a light sanding and then a matching stain? Yikes, I can’t imagine painting such a beautiful old piece! Please don’t. A marble top or even granite would not be that expensive.
    BUT, it’s your business what you decide.

October 26, 2016 at 7:03 am

Thanks Rebecca, it’s a difficult call when it was purchased to re-sell. Unfortunately, original finishes don’t sell here at all.

Lisa B
    October 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm

What a lovely piece of furniture! I am all about painting furniture but this piece I would not touch with a paint brush. Instead I would try sanding the drip stain with some very fine steel wool then apply stain to match. I think you’ll be happy with the results.

October 26, 2016 at 7:01 am

Thanks Lisa, I appreciate your comment.

Ellen
    October 25, 2016 at 7:14 pm

People either love or hate oak. Me, I am not crazy about it. However, this piece is really special. If it were mine, I would strip it and retain or tung oil and wax. I, too, would hold out for marble on the top. I think it would be outstanding if you did those things.

October 26, 2016 at 7:01 am

Thanks for commenting Ellen and have a great day.

Kathryn
    October 25, 2016 at 10:50 pm

In my area painted furniture is no longer the high selling item and it’s back to original finishes being the desire. Don’t know if that’s the situation where you live, but even staining the strip would lower it’s value in my area. Good luck. And I vote for marble.

October 26, 2016 at 7:00 am

The painted furniture craze started a little later here in Quebec, so painted pieces are still more in demand than original finishes, but I guess the change in trend is to be expected. Very interesting and thanks for commenting Kathryn.

nelson37
    October 26, 2016 at 9:26 am

My two cents is this – I love it as is, but I agree the drip isn’t the most attractive feature. I also would try to find a piece of marble if you aren’t painting it. Is there anything else you could do to fix the drip? Could you possibly sand down or strip that one side and start from scratch? If you painted it, then I think a wood top stained dark would be lovely. If you have to choose between liming or painting, I say paint. I just don’t think those limed pieces in the post are nearly as pretty as the things you’ve painted. A creamy white with the overlays distressed and then a dark stained top would be gorgeous. But I’d try to fix the drip first of all but redoing the entire side and then getting a piece of marble. If that doesn’t work, I say, dark stained top and paint. It’s a gorgeous piece and whatever you do will be beautiful, I’m sure.

October 30, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Yeah. That unfortunate drip.

Deb
    November 5, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Oh please use the wax the grain will show through and it will still be a stunning piece. Marble top if you can!

• I always love to hear your comments.