Today’s post is all about maximizing on your furniture makeover sales. If you are going to do this for a living, then a good lesson to learn is to not let yourself get sentimental about your finds and think how to best maximize your earnings, while keeping in mind (and this one is important) how to fit your new found pieces in today’s lifestyles and habits. Think about who your potential customer is. Usually splitting up a set or recycling one furniture piece into different pieces and uses, is the best way from a re-sale value. It is much easier to sell individual pieces than it is to sell, let’s say, a full bedroom set to one customer, or a separate mirror and dresser -vs- a dresser with a mirror attached. You would limit all those potential customers who would want to hang art above or place it underneath a window, etc.
Let’s take the above buffet I recently purchased for re-sale. While I really do appreciate it’s history, leaving it intact and not painted, well it would really not appeal to too many people. Remember what I mentioned above, think about who your potential customer would be. My plan for this piece is to recycle it into three different pieces and uses.
Here is part 1 of the makeover, I removed the top hutch and used the bottom part to be used as a buffet.
It was painted in the color “Driftwood” by Dixie Belle Paint and sealed with Black Wax. The black wax darkened the grey paint slightly and gave it a layered effect, not so flat looking. The raw wood also got sealed with the black wax.
With the top part removed, it is much more of a versatile piece and although it is an antique, it does not feel stuffy and it will fit much easier in today’s spaces and lifestyle.
Since it is a solid wood piece, I decided to keep the top natural.
The interior drawers were painted in a soft blue for just a touch of whimsy and surprise. The color is “Haint Blue”, also by Dixie Belle Paint.
Here are some work-in-progress pictures.
After removing the top mirror and rooftop (the top covered part, not sure what you actually call it), I stripped the top with stripping gel.
I Then used this soft-handled sanding tool, which I find really makes sanding easier, to remove all the gummy residue and really get down to the raw wood.
Since I had removed the mirror, there was a gap left on the top back, like there was a backsplash missing so I up-cycled these two leftover pieces of wood from the harp of another dresser’s mirror into a backsplash. This looks more finished.
I sanded the backsplash and joined the two pieces of wood together.
I’m still working on the other parts of the buffet so I will share what I did in another post. Stay tuned for Part 2.
Have a great day.